Topic: Installion difficulties FAILED Checking for convert (/usr/bin/convert)

Hi!
I'm really excited to install this after seeing the demo BUT it seems I have a problem installing it:

I get the following error:
Checking for convert (/usr/bin/convert) ... FAILED

I think my conf file is correct. Could it be convert is located somewhere else?  (but where?)

Thanks for your help!
Momo

Re: Installion difficulties FAILED Checking for convert (/usr/bin/convert)

Do you have terminal (ssh) access? If so, try logging in and entering the command which convert. That should tell you the path the convert on your system.

If not, try asking your provider what the path to the binary is.

Great! I got it to work!

But it seems I cannot view the website under Internet Explorer.
http://gallery.bidopolis.com

I can only see it in FireFox

Thanks for your help!

Hmm, looks fine in IE6 for me. What version are you having trouble with?

Thanks soo much for all your help!

I have IE 7. Perhaps, I should down grade to IE 6? (Is that even possible?)

Momo

I was afraid of that.

Ochiba was written when IE7 wasn't yet out, but I made the assumption that it would fix all the problems IE6 had, and be standards compliant. This was rather naive of me.

Since it's not possible to have IE6 and IE7 installed at the same time, I'm unable to test things in IE7 and I can't tell you what the problem is. The best I can suggest at this time is to look at the templates/site.tmpl file and change the line that reads:

<!--[if lt IE 7]><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="{ROOT}/css/iesux.css" /><[endif]-->

and change the 7 to an 8. Maybe IE8 will be standards compatible.

momopopo wrote:

Hi!
I'm really excited to install this after seeing the demo BUT it seems I have a problem installing it:

I get the following error:

I think my conf file is correct. Could it be convert is located somewhere else?  (but where?)

Thanks for your help!
Momo

I'm also experiencing this issue during installation. ImageMagick is installed and runs fine in ssh.
Also checked "which convert" and it is installed in the default path specified in conf.php ...

-sh-3.1$ which convert
/usr/bin/convert

Is there anything else I should be checking? I'm a little lost as to what I should do next to troubleshoot this... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hmm, if a shell reports that /usr/bin/convert exists and PHP is choking on it, then it's possible that your shell server and web server are actually different hosts, OR your web hoster has some restrictions on what can be executed. I'm gonna guess the latter. Can you contact your webhoster and see if they restrict access to /usr/bin/convert?

9 (edited by Yokohead 2007-07-25 18:38:13)

Hmm, if a shell reports that /usr/bin/convert exists and PHP is choking on it, then it's possible that your shell server and web server are actually different hosts, OR your web hoster has some restrictions on what can be executed. I'm gonna guess the latter. Can you contact your webhoster and see if they restrict access to /usr/bin/convert?

It's definitely the restrictions,  but for the life of me I'm unable to figure out which ones specifically.  'fraid I don't especially earn the term webhoster yet.  Unfortunately I don't know exactly why it returned FAILED on is_executable();  PHP_SAFE is off and open_basedir allows access to /usr/bin for his domain (well,  mine  specifically, but I'm attempting to run the script with the same user permissions).

I'll keep grinding away at it and post here once I figure it out for anyone else who might be doing the dumb thing I surely am.

Very slick script though,  I'm going to dump my gallery installation once I configure the server properly.  Quite impressed with the streamlined cleanliness, h3.

Is there anything showing up in the logs? What if you try uploading something like:

<?php
exec("/usr/bin/convert -version",$out);
echo $out[0];
?>

Aaah,  it was fantastic.  In my vhost.conf for the open_basedir modification pico was wordwrapping the php_admin_value open_basedir "/directory/paths/line",  essentially cutting off the /usr/bin/ addition.

Running pico -w vhost.conf,  resaving and reloading fixed it.  Really dumb... I knew it had to be.  Thanks alot for the tip.

Hah, that's is fantastic. I'm glad it wasn't a bug with ochiba :).

So, I have the same problem, I ran that test script up there a couple posts, and everything comes back fine.

Version: ImageMagick 6.0.7 05/03/07 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
When I run the install I get this;

Checking for identify (/usr/bin/identify) ... FAILED

The others come back OK but the script stops at;

Checking for HTML_Template_IT ...

I've tried everything I can think of....shouldn't be any restrictions, I have full access to the server as well.

Any ideas....?

Hmm, if the test script worked, then it should work since it uses the same call (exec) that ochiba does. I'm not sure why it's giving a FAILED for the check at install time....

The HTML_Template_IT should've returned a helpful message if it couldn't find HTML_Template_IT, directing you to http://ochiba.x-maru.org/reqs, which discusses in detail.

lucky644 wrote:

The others come back OK but the script stops at;

Checking for HTML_Template_IT ...

I've tried everything I can think of....shouldn't be any restrictions, I have full access to the server as well.

Any ideas....?

When I ran into this it was because I had not moved the required HTML_Template_IT files from my pear package to the ochiba directory as mentioned in the 'Quick Install' under the requirements.